Friday, August 08, 2008

It's official...

I am a tight ass!
Well according to my extremely attractive physio I am anyway ;o)
Finally plucked up the courage to go and get myself sorted as the pain in my hip was really getting me down.

It turns out that a combination of my flat feet and a damaged ass muscle have managed to reduce my shock absorbtion capacity to virtually zero meaning that Yes Rodders I do run like a spakker!

I'm basically overpronating to the point of collapse on my right side which is pulling on my iliotibial band (are you impressed Emma) and all the gubins at the top of it (Sorry but one long technical term is my limit!) and it's this that's causing me all the pain.
I've come away with a set of exercises to build up the non existent muscles that work my arches and to strengthen my knees and hip flexors, a set of stretches to loosen up my tight ass (and boy did it feel good after I'd done those) and strict instructions to either:
1. cut my training by 50% for the next two weeks or,
2. pay him lots of money to treat the inflamed tortured area whilst I stupidly continue to train at full pelt
Hmmm answers on a postcard please!

Have to say i'm glad I went not least because he was a lovely man but more importantly because now I know that it's soft tissue damage and it could get better rather than worrying myself stupid and thinking I'd got osteo-arthritis and needed to sign on the dotted line for a new hip!

So Rodders, it's up to you! I'm now on for 50 minutes on Sunday (1/2 of the 100??? we're supposed to do) and then for speedwork I have to do 1/2 the distance so will be 100metre reps for me. Let me know how you want to play it
Later skater
Dave!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ld you you have muscles you need to strengthen in your arches needs to be struck off.

Unknown said...

thats supposed to say anyone who has told you that you have muscles in your arches.....

Rodders and Dave said...

It's more of a fibrous band of tissue around the foot, but it's more than often described as a musular band, to make it easy for non-clinical people to understand. I had plantar faciitis and was told to do exercises to strengthen the muscles in and around the arch. And also in the achilles tendon. It's common for podiatrists to recommend this. And if it helps Dave, then brillant!!!